Subject: students

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 04:39:21 EDT
From: twayburn@juno.com (Thomas L Wayburn)
To: phys-l@atlantis.cc.uwf.edu

If no one has read "The Seven-Lesson School Plan" by John Gatto, *The
Truthseeker* ( a while back), one might consider reading it. -TLW
*******
In partial answer to Ludwik, I give the following two references that
span more than a century of 'bad students':

Gatto, John Taylor, "The 7-Lesson Schoolteacher", The Truth Seeker, 118,
No.4 (1991).

Goethe, William Meister’s Apprenticeship and Travels, Thomas Carlyle,
translator, A. L. Burt, New York (1839).

My analysis in quick step follows:

(1) The schools are teaching lies, (2) the students are being
groomed to be cogs in a giant machine, and (3a) the lower schools are
choked by a massive and unresponsive bureaucracy, whilst (3b) the
universities are corrupted by the wildly different unpublished and,
normally, unstated agendas of the various stakeholders; whereas, the
university exists for the benefit of a select group of insiders and,
apparently, for nobody else (to state the case hyperbolically). (Ask a
typical student in a minor research university if he thinks the
professor's job is to teach.)

I conclude with an old scribbling of mine in corroboration of recent
PHYS-L postings:

As a society we must begin to concern ourselves with the gradual
unraveling of our ability to cope. When I was ten years old, I
understood every piece of technology I used. I knew how it worked -
almost why it worked, which nobody knows, and how to fix it if it broke.
I think I began losing my grip when FM radio came out, although,
recently, I sat down and devised a method for building and operating an
FM radio - but probably not the method that is actually used. Hmmmm?