Re: pdf files

Wiley publishing has supplied us with solutions to the Halliday,
Resnick and Walker problems in the form of pdf files. We would like to
post selected solutions on the Web (local access only) for our
students, but have run into two problems: The font they chose is
virtually unreadable on screen (Mac or Unix); It seems that pdf files
cannot be edited, only viewed or printed page-wise.

Does anyone know of a way to convert pdf to something editable and
then back to pdf for display? Any alternative approaches? (I tried
scanning, but the resulting gif files print slowly and badly, at
best.)

You need Adobe Acrobat Exchange. An academic edition exists (mine cost
me C$54, cheap) and I still don't quite know how to use it, but it has
the capability you want, unless Wiley has succeeded in locking the
documents somehow. It should be a good exercise for one of your students
to defeat the lock if so.

I'm very interested in any fix you come up with. This problem bugs me
constantly (I use a Mac) in other places. The Los Alamos preprint
archive used to have the problem, but they provided a fix. Now my magic
cookie tells the preprint server that I am a Mac user and everything
comes to me in the proper fonts. Thus a solution exists if only the
publisher is made aware of the problem. I think you should contact
Wiley and let them know the problem exists and is likely to be
widespread. They don't want anyone hacking their solution manual, I
assure you, and they should be receptive to your desires.

Leigh