Re: Unemployed but willing

Keith,
My wife & I have both been there done that on several occasions. Working
as a sub is a good way to get your foot in the door. Don't feel you have to
limit yourself to showing videos. Doing this probably taxes most subs to the
limit, but feel free to use your ability to do more. It will get back to the
teacher and next time you are called you may be given the opportunity to do
more. Make it a point to get to know the faculty, department heads,
administrators etc. while you are in the schools. Talk about your experience
career plans etc. but do not talk about your philosophy until you know theirs
if you really want to work for them. My wife talked herself right out of one
job because on one issue her philosophy was diametically opposed to that of
the principal. Of course she said she wouldn't have wanted to work for the
SOB for any amount of money!

Look at private schools. They are often used as training ground for public
schools, and often offer good jobs in their own right (although usually for
lower pay). Look to teacher organizations you can join, workshops to partici
pate in etc. in which you can meet and interact with other faculty and
"become known" in the community.

Look at rural areas or inner city schools. They often have a hard time getting
teachers. Many teachers use these as a stepping stone to more desirable
positions so there is often a lot of turnover.