Re: Physics/Literature collaboration...

I use the books "Hiroshima" and "Day One." I have the students read them
before we go into the unit on Nuclear Physics. They must keep a journal
of reactions to what they read and write a reaction paper. We discuss
these papers in class after completing the Nuclear Physics unit. I have
also shown them "The Day after Trinity" and "Testament" and used the
same assignment.

Another "cross curriculum" unit I have used is to have the students
research and debate the pros and cons of the use of nuclear energy to
generate electricity.

These assignments do a good job of teaching and reinforcing research,
reading, writing, and speaking skills along with giving them a great
motivation to study and understand the physics involved.

Ray Rogoway
Independence High School