re:Flow of energy

Hi Rick-
You write:
But Newton is not the most _current_ model of how nature works. Everything
that we teach with Newtonian mechanics can supposedly be explained with
quantum mechanics (at least that's my understanding) but one would not
likely resort to QM to explain most macroscopic phenomenon because the
Newtonian model works just fine in the macroscopic domain. Calorimetry can
be treated sucessfully with an 'energy flow' model. What is the advantage
to quashing such models?

Rick
A pet peeve of mine. It is not true that "macroscopic" -"microscopic"
define the respective realms of classical and quantum mechanics. Second sound
in liquid He is a macroscopic quantum phenomenon. The true distinction
is coherence and incoherence. Liquid He provides a macroscopic assembly of
atoms that are coherently related to one another. The notion "coherently
related" is essentially quantum mechanical.
Regards,
Jack