Re: Heatflow New

Hey, heat doesnt "flow", but fat sure does! Now you can still use the old
theories. Just substitute "fat flows" everywhere you said "heat flows".

New Indian Proverb: "He who speak with forked tongue, can doublespeak with
tongue in both cheeks."

Smile, Karl

I would like to propose a request for explanation.

My students determine the "specific heat" of an oil using a heater which
was roughly calibrated. I used peanut oil this year.....

How do the findings apply to why oil is used to "deep fry" rather than using
water? How is using oil to "fry" bring about different results?

The oil gets considerably hotter than water can*. I believe frying
involves boiling the water at the surface of the fryee; that could
scarcely be done in boiling water.

The explanations you offer will help me to understand how outdated models
(caloric) can be avoided (or used?)

I never need 'em. Why should you?

Leigh

*185 degrees C for a chicken recipe I just looked up

Dr. Karl I. Trappe Desk Phone: (512) 471-4152
Physics Dept, Mail Stop C-1600 Demo Office: (512) 471-5411
The University of Texas at Austin Home Phone: (512) 264-1616
Austin, Texas 78712-1081