----------
From: LUDWIK KOWALSKI <kowalskil@alpha.montclair.edu>

Yes, the word heat has two conflicting meanings in many introductory
physics
textbooks. In thermodynamics it refers to that part of a thermal energy
change
which is due to a difference of temperatures, dT, between the inside and
outside of a system. It is a path-dependent quantity, usually expressed
in
joules. In elementary physics on the other hand, heat is the name given
the quantity Q when the formula Q=c*m*dT is used to perform simple
calorimetric calculations. Students often say that the temperature of a
body
is determined by the amount of heat "it contains". Phrases such as "heat
added
to a body" or "heat removed from it" are commonly used by teachers who
take
it for granted that "heat" is a synonym for "thermal energy of molecules
and
atoms". The experiments of Joule are often interpreted by saying that
"energy in the form of heat" and "mechanical energy" are equivalent. In
thermodynamics, on the other hand, we emphasize that heat is not a state
function, such as energy or enthalpy.

Thus a common statement: "heat is a form of energy" is false in
thermodynamics.
This situation was created because the same name, "heat", was given to
different physical quantities expressed in joules. We use it in
calorimetry
and we use it in the first law, dE=Q+W. The recognition of this fact is
an
important first step toward the elimination of many conceptual conflicts.
We
must then decide what to do about this unfortunate situation. Should the
term
"heat" be eliminated from elementary calorimetry and replaced by
"internal
energy"? I suspect that most phys-L-ers would favor this "modern"
approach.
They would disagree with the following formulation, found in Sears and
Zemansky. "The process of combustion releases the internal energy and
converts
it into heat. In this form the energy can be utilized for ..."

The other alternative is to retain the traditional meaning of heat (form
of
energy) and to invent a new name, for example, "thermal pseudo-energy",
for
the path-dependent quantity Q in thermodynamics. This approach could be
defended by observing that "heat" is a common word; introductory courses
have
traditionally been structured to quantify common words, such as force,
work
and heat. Phrases, such as "energy in the form of heat", "heat released
in a
reaction", "heat produced through friction" or "heat flows" are too
deeply
rooted to be abandoned. Renaming Q in thermodynamics would be less
confusing
than renaming it in elementary physics. Wouldn't you agree with Jim that
the
most effective way of confusing students and teachers is to redefine
traditional words with which they are already familiar. Can students
learn
thermodynamics before they learn calorimetry?

By the way, I still think that a distinction between thermal energy and
internal energy can be very useful in many problems. Thermal energy is
that
part of internal energy which is associated with motions and interactions
of
molecules and atoms. The internal energy, on the other hand, is not
limited
to its thermal component; part of it may be associated with motions and
interactions of macroscopic components of a system, such as wheels,
belts,
springs and pistons. The internal energy does not change when friction
slows
down a brick sliding along a horizontal surface. But a conversion of
kinetic
energy into thermal energy does take place in the system.
Ludwik
Kowalski