Re: reason for "s = distance traveled"

On Sun, 24 Aug 1997 18:53:24 -0400 Ken Caviness <caviness@southern.edu>
writes:
Je 09:57 AM 24.08.97 PST, herbgottlieb@juno.com skribis:

"Inge H. A. Pettersen" writes:
: "What is the reason for using >the letter s to denote distance
traveled ?"

I've
always assumed it's from the German "Strecke" =3D span, distance. Any
confirmation?

Ken

| Ken CAVINESS Physics at Southern Adventist University |
| caviness@southern.edu ESPERANTO =3D Lingvo internacia
|
| http://southern.edu/~caviness/ E-o/English/Fran=E7ais/Deutsch

This is the best suggestion so far - better than Brian's *secta*, but we
still need to check it out somehow. Any hints as to where you heard
this, etc. We need to see it in a book or look for an original use and
hope it reveals itself. It's a tough problem with not very serious
consequences for failing to solve. I think it is strange. But, if
German, maybe Leibnitz or Gauss, who may have written the word near the
first usage of the symbol. Thanks / Tom, who has gotten hooked by
Inge's student.