Re: Jacob's Ladder

More info on pacemakers (forwarded). -- Donald

From Robert.Schadewald-1@tc.umn.edu Fri Aug 22 21:19:31 1997
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 11:23:58
From: Robert Schadewald <Robert.Schadewald-1@tc.umn.edu>
To: "Donald E. Simanek" <dsimanek@eagle.lhup.edu>
Subject: Re: Jacob's Ladder (fwd)

Don,

A further note on pacing in the presence of electronic noise: When I
composed last night's message, I was thinking in terms of pulses causing an
electrical reset, which I then discussed. There also is a possible issue
with continuous, high-powered electronic noise that penetrates the
patient's body. Modern pacemakers sense the electrical signals generated
when the heart beats on its own and inhibit their output if appropriate.
Noise sensing can fool a pacemaker into inhibiting when it should be
pacing. Unlike an electrical reset, this is a transitory phenomenon that
occurs only while the noise is present. Again, manufacturers have schemes
to protect the patient in the presence of continuous, high-powered
electrical noise, but the resulting asynchronous pacing can cause symptoms
and distress.

Bob