Re: Hubris of physicists

On Thu, 07 Aug 1997 13:06:48 -0500 Gary Karshner <karshner@stmarytx.edu>
writes:
Is possible _not_ to have some kind of agenda?

Dewey,
Such an individual would be truly open minded, and I would
think
have little to add to any issue - a true blank slate. I think some one
without an a agenda is like the law's "reasonable man"
Both are idealized fictions.
Gary Karshner

St. Mary's University
San Antonio, Texas
KARSHNER@STMARYTX.EDU

The following gem of a book expresses the scientific spirit admirably (in
my opinion and the opinion of many others):
Lakatos, Imre, *Proofs and Refutations*, Cambridge University Press, New
York (1976).

At the time of his death, Stephen Brunauer of the Brunauer, Emmit, Teller
Adsorption Theory was busy trying to disprove his magnum opus. To be
against one's own theory is even more than we ask, but it is very good.

Regards / The Amateur