Re: Squeezing time or squeezing students

I have had the fortune of teaching Conceptual Physics in the summer where
we meet every day for 4 hours. This has worked wonderful since the lab
and lecture are intermixed. You lecture for awhile then do a lab project
(some of which take only and hour or so), then you discuss the lab
results. I find this mixture of lab and lecture to work very well.
During the academic year the class meets twice a week(about 90 minutes a
class) and once for the lab. The lab is schedule right after one of the
class meetings. The lab is 3 hrs. However in the future I am going to
schedule the course again for 2 meetings a week but the lab will meet
right each class for 90 minutes each time. This will allow for the
mixture of lab and lecture. Some of our Biology courses are like this and
those faculty members feel better about mixing lab and lecture than just
the straight lecture and a 3 hr lab during the week. We are thinking
about doing this sort of scheduling for all our freshman physics courses.