Re: your mail

Yes, defining some of the words is the problem. In my previous post I
merely wanted to pose a case which was adiabatic--gas and container. The
walls of the container may vibrate and move but the container does not
deform permanently. To a first approximation no work is done on the
surroundings. If you wish you may think of this as happening in outer space.
This system has an energy function which is independent of
time--conserved. I would call it internal energy. You may not wish to, but
you need to call it something so that others know what you are talking about.

W. Barlow Newbolt 540-463-8881 (telephone)
218 Howe Hall 540-463-8884 (fax)
Washington and Lee University newbolt.w@fs.science.wlu.edu
Lexington, Virginia 24450 wnewbolt@liberty.uc.wlu.edu

"It is often stated that of all the theories proposed in this century,
the silliest is quantum theory. In fact, some say that the only thing
quantum theory has going for it is that it is unquestionably correct."

Michio Kaku, 1995