Re: Why Cricket Graph?

Good point. One has to be careful to not ask students to learn too many
different software packages. Even though I like using Excel, there's no
reason to have students move data there for things like curve fitting or
simple data transforms. All of that can be done in data acquisition
programs such as the PASCO's Science Workshop or Data Logger, Logger Pro,
or Motion from Vernier Software. Logger Pro, for one, will plot data you
type in by hand, allowing analysis that spans several data acquisition
runs.

This is something that I didn't appreciate right away in using computers
with students. Some students will take to a new software package
immediately, but for others it takes a day or two to get up to speed with
the new environment. Since the goal is to teach physics and not computing
or desktop publishing, one must look carefully at the number of software
packages used.