Down with the lottery!! (was: 2 kid problem)

Since I have so much trouble with probability, I decided to solve a
big problem a couple of years ago. I computed an algorithm to estimate
the expected value of a Texas State Lottery Ticket. Of course, it never
is worth a buck. ...

Actually, I think there are times when the expected return *is*
greater than a buck. This only occurs when a significant amount
of rollover money from a previous "no winner" drawing (money that
is not represented by current tickets) is in the pot. So the
trick is to play only when this is the case and then--most
important of all--to pick numbers that nobody else will pick, like
34, 35, 36, 37, 38, and 39. The fact that this is the *best*
strategy for beating the lottery is also an excellent reason for
*never* playing the lottery--assuming, of course, that the
regressive taxation it represents and the general immorality of
financing state obligations in this manner aren't reason enough.

John

P.S. Has anybody else ever marveled at the inspired sleight of
hand wherein the state pays large jackpots over twenty years? If
the state has any investment savvy whatsoever, it will be able
to meet these payments and still end up with *more* than the
original jackpot at the end.

In fact, this practice probably invalidates my argument above
since the expected return is effectively reduced by about 50%
due to the rather small *present* value of the *future* income.
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223