Re: The "two child solution"

Regarding the philosophical objections about the probability of
after-the-fact events, I think such objections may be allayed by a simple
rewording of the question so it refers to potential events instead of those
which have already happened. Also, such objections lose their force anyway if
only a more Bayesian interpretation of the probabilities involved is used
(which I prefer, BTW). After all, the whole point of the problem is to
illustrate the effect of how conditional probabilities depend on additional
information.

A rephrased problem in this case is a different problem. That was already
pointed out. The original problem is ill-posed and is a proper object for
Bayesian calculation, but that was not done. Indeed I doubt this "clever"
person knows anything about it.

Leigh