Re: The Wages of Sin is Death?

At 10:55 7/29/97 EDT, you wrote:

Since I have so much trouble with probability, I decided to solve a
big problem a couple of years ago. I computed an algorithm to estimate
the expected value of a Texas State Lottery Ticket. Of course, it never
is worth a buck. But, amusingly, without leaving my apartment I
discovered two or three ways in which the State cheats. So, you can find
out things by doing math! ...
Regards to all and especially to the players / Tom

It was a while ago.
I went to work as a system designer of a distributed network
of ticket selling machines - concerts, theater-seats, all that stuff.

It happened that the engineering outfit's main line was state lotteries
(Syntech International).

Texas, as an anti-gambling state, properly chose to run that company out of
Dallas, and out of state. Oh, they left us innocuous ticket-sellers
in-place - but the Devil's Cohorts got their marching orders.

I recall the boss's advice quite clearly - as the state takes about 50%,
always head for Reno - there is no racket that takes a larger cut.

That was then, and this is now.
Texas sells lottery tickets from every outlet.
Southland decided that 7-11 stores could manage quite well without
automated ticket sales, so that system went down the tubes.

And Texans benefit by better educational grants - perhaps.

Regards
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK