Re: International Physics Olympiad

Leigh Palmer has reminded me that this list isn't just for us usanians, so
let me apolgize to all those from other lands who I left out of my first
posting. I urge every physics teacher to support the International Physics
Olympiad movement and their own national team. Only by strong local support
can this effort prosper, and by prospering it improves the status of
physics education everywhere, and this makes physics better for all of us.
I didn't mean to sound so nationalistic before, I just got carried away by
the moment, and forgot that the important part of the physics olympiad is
that it is international, just as all science is.

Let me also congratulate Alan Nursall and his colleagues at Science North
and Laurentian University for putting on a superb olympiad. At the rate
these events are growing, they are becoming more and more difficult to
manage, and finance, so all of Canada deserves our thanks and
congratulations for an oustatnding effort.

To complete the North American coverage of the IphO movement, I have also
learned that Mexico has agreed to host the Physics Olympiad in (I think)
2009 , so start reading Feynman's lectures to your kindegartners at
bedtime. No more Grim or Hans Christian Anderson.

Hugh

PS: I'm willing to send copies of our qualifying exams to teachers from
other countries, but since selection procedures vary from place to place,
I'm not sure how much help they will be to those outside the US. They're
great problems, though.

HH

Hugh Haskell

<mailto://hhaskell@mindspring.com>

The box said "Requires Windows 95 or better." So I bought a Macintosh.