Re: CONSERVATION OF ENERGY

Warning: Long!

A couple of recent postings induce me to comment again on the concept of
internal versus "thermal" or "mechanical" energy:

Most of us would agree that an ideal vibrating two-mass-and-spring
system has a total (internal) energy which can be determined by adding
the energy of vibration (which alternates between potential and kinetic
modes) to the standard thermodynamic internal energies of the two masses
and of the spring considered as subsystems. If this system were
isolated and if there were some form of coupling between the
macroscopically observable vibration and the internal modes (for
instance, flexing dissipation in the spring), then, eventually, the
oscillations would die out, the temperatures of the masses and the
spring would increase, and the total energy of the system would remain
unchanged.

In this specific, oversimplified situation I can understand and,
perhaps, even live with the idea that the entire system has an internal
energy composed of the sum of a thermal component and a mechanical
component. The second law allows the mechanical component (which really
simply represents an overconcentration of energy in one mode) to be
reduced in favor of its redistribution over the other modes, but not
vice-versa.

Now consider a more realistic situation in which a large chunk of matter
is struck and then vibrates in a complex and macroscopically observable
manner. Let's think about how we would apportion its internal energy
between mechanical and thermal components. We can (in principle) do a
spectral analysis to determine the amount of vibrational energy in each
vibrational mode. But where do we cut off the sum? At what wavelength
or frequency does a vibrational mode cease to be "macroscopically
observable?" Since, in principle, the precise motion of every atom can
be specified by a sufficiently extended spectral analysis, isn't *all*
of the energy vibrational (e.g., "mechanical") and, therefore, is there
really *any* "thermal" energy at all? I simply don't see *any* rational
way of deciding how much of the internal energy here is "mechanical" and
how much is "thermal."

Perhaps one could say that the "thermal" energy is the sum of the
energies in all modes that have energies within some expected deviation
of that specified by equipartition, but we are still faced with an
arbitrary--and, ultimately, not very meaningful (or useful)--decision
about what that cutoff will be.

My conclusion from considering such examples has been that we should not
deceive ourselves into thinking that internal energy can be divided into
thermal and mechanical portions. We should be content to say that a
system is or is not "in thermal equilibrium" and leave it at that.

I hasten to add however that I *am* willing to separate out bulk (i.e.,
"center of mass") translational kinetic energy and distinguish it from
internal energy because it--in sole contrast to all other forms of
system energy--is frame-dependent and, therefore, clearly *not* a
property "of" the system.

In light of the above, I will make some remarks on recent contributions.

In Ludwik's "summary" posting he wrote:

Macroscopic work is not energy, it is a process by which mechanical energy
(kinetic, elastic or gravitational) can be either gained or lost by a
system.

You need to lose (or at least reposition) the word "mechanical" in the
above--e.g., "Work is a mechanical process that changes the internal
energy of a system."

It is also the name of a quantity (force times distance) which is
used to know (to measure) how much mechanical energy was lost or gained.

This is an oversimplification and, therefore, misleading without a clear
specification of *what* force(s) and *what* distance(s). Furthermore,
the word "mechanical" is particularly problematic here. There are many
possible definitions for work and the specific system energy that
changes depends critically on the choices for the force(s) and
distance(s). [At the risk of sounding like a broken record I refer you
to my paper with Harvey Leff, "All About Work," AJP, Vol. 60, 356-365,
(1992).] Generally in thermodynamics we use the external forces only
and the motions of the points of application *with respect to*
(something like) the system's center of mass frame. This definition
manages to exclude the effects of net forces which accelerate the center
of mass. For instance, we don't usually care if a volume of gas is
accelerated as long as it maintains the same pressure and temperature.
(After all, a volume of gas "at rest" on the surface of the earth is
"equivalent" to ... Oh never mind; I *really* don't want to open that
one up again!)

Likewise, heat is not energy. The word heating refers to a macroscopic
process through which thermal energy is either added or removed from a
system.

Heat, just like work, changes the *internal* energy of a system. The
primary difference is that it is a thermal rather than mechanical
*process.* Heat can just as easily change the "mechanical component"
(whatever that means) of a system's internal energy as can work.
Consider what happens when you heat a system which consists of a volume
of gas AND a confining but free-to-move, massive piston.

It is also the name of a quantity (c*m*dT) which is used to know
(to measure) how much thermal energy was lost or gained.

Not in general. The heat added to a system is not always measurable in
this fashion (consider the isothermal expansion of a gas) and, again,
the *form* in which that energy "shows up" is just as arbitrary as when
it is added via work. As shown in the gas plus piston example, heat
does not necessarily change the "thermal" energy even if one *could*
make a rational definition of that term.

I heard somewhere a statement that "how much heat in a body?" is like
asking how much rain is in the ocean." ...

Good example!

Then Emilio said:

My brief comment to the opinion that "heat" should be reserved to the
"transmission of energy by the effect of a difference in temperature"
(as stated by Al Bachman).

Except that processes which, I think, might properly go by the name
"heating" also occur in situations in which the temperature is simply
not defined on either side of the system boundary. We need to
distinguish between reversible and irreversible heating. Both are what
I would call "thermal" processes but only the second kind involves
"temperature differences." Yes, a little picky.

Then Ludwik responded:

Emilio, I suspect (withou being sure) that John M. would refer to the
temperature increase of food in the microwave oven as warming rather than
heating. Would the Marsian word gaming be acceptable to you?

Well, I think I'd call it "warming due to heat" as opposed to "warming
due to work." I don't intend "warming" to refer to some "third kind" of
thermodynamic process, it simply means the internal energy has increased
and rethermalized.

Then Jim Green chimed in with some good points and also said:

4) The First Law is a good guide to this usage: If W+Q=dU and a speaker
wants to maintain consistent usage in a discussion, then just what meaning
should be assigned to each term? Well, there is the Second Law to deal with
as well: if dS=Q/T, then those things assigned to Q should change S.
=name for Q needs to be agreed upon. Usually "Q" is named "heat" -- this is
just fine, but then "heat" is what is done *to* the system -- and in the
process changes the S of the system. ...

But don't forget that the relationship dS == (i.e., "is defined to be")
Q/T applies only to reversible heating processes. In irreversible
processes there is no general relationship between Q (if any) and the
change in S (if any).

5) There should be a sharp distinctions between "Q" and "W"; that
distinction should be that "Q" changes S and "W" does not. Some examples
might help here: a Bunsen burner does "Q", pdV does not, it therefore is
"W". An egg beater *does* give rise to "Q" ie it *does* change S, but there
is no "dT" between the system and the universe. Are we willing to call what
the egg beater does "heat". If we are being consistent with our First Law
and Second Law criteria, we must. If we do not want to be consistent, we
just don't understand thermodynamics and our students will be mightily
confused.

Here you are running into the difficulties associated with forgetting
the special role of reversible processes. Maybe the real point is that
in irreversible processes all that we can really determine (and all we
really care about) is how much the internal energy of the system
changed. (The first law for irreversible processes should probably
simply read: "dU = how much energy was added to the system.") *Then* we
construct a *reversible* path with well defined heat and work in order
to calculate the change in entropy.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223