Re: internet and education

At 10:52 AM 7/14/97 +0100, you wrote:
As a high school and junior college teacher I am somewhat baffled by all
of the fuss over the current educational fad - the internet. In
discussions with many colleagues I have yet to find anyone working on a
project where the internet is a truly beneficial and original aspect of
the project. In most cases the projects are chosen just so the internet
can be used (usually to fulfull the requirements of some grant) rather
than the internet helping to achieve already recognized educational
goals. ... etc

I do use the internet, but not at a high school level. I have put
a introductory college level Strength of Materials course, which I have
taught for nearly twenty years, on the internet. The material includes
my lecture notes, problem assignments, sample tests, and in
the fall a large test pool with answers/solutions.

I find I use it quite a bit. Students access it to review notes,
and do practice tests, ect. I have had positive feedback. It is
also very useful for students who miss class, and also for students
who want to know what the class is about. It is available any time
of day or night (which I am not).

It is not a replacement for a classroom course, but I find it
a valuable supplement. For anyone who might want to
take a look the url is
http://physics.uwstout.edu/strength

Bob Foley
Physics Dept, UW-Stout