Re: Physics education via the internet?

The greatest thing about computers (in my opinion) is that they
enable you to take all the old lecture demonstration/lab stuff
(especially in mechanics) and make it more interactive, to involve
the students in the demonstrations while they are being carried out.
Use the MBL materials and you can go through a
predict/discuss/observe/reconcile cycle that goes a long way toward
insuring that the students see the same thing you see. It is better
for them to be able to carry out the experiments themselves but as
Sokoloff and Thornton have shown, even simply making a demonstration
interactive rather than show-and-tell helps a great deal.

Just an aside -- if you can, think about buying one of the
large-monitor computers such as the Gateway Destination. With a 31"
monitor, even the back of the room can see what is going on.

If this plan is carried out, how will it benefit our teaching of physics?
Should there be less emphasis on the use of physics textbooks, teacher
demonstrations, lab exercises, problem solving, group discussions, and
other traditional ways to teach physics? .................. or should all
of these items be retained and allow an extra hour or two each day for
surfing physics via internet?

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where priority is being given to upgrade our failing schools)

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227