Re: what is understanding?

On Fri, 11 Jul 1997, Leigh Palmer wrote:

I've always considered the phenomena of perception to be more than a
metaphor for the scientific worldview. I teach my students that science
is that branch of human endeavor which extends the limits to human
perception. These extensions are, for example, to the perception of
electromagnetic radiation to wavelengths and intensities normally
outside our personal sesitivities, to other radiations (neutrinos, etc.),
to more distant objects, to smaller objects...

Oh my, Leigh. You have the same view as a 60's rock group:

"To know ultraviolet, infrared, and xrays,
Beauty to find in so many ways.."

The Moody Blues

Mike Monce
Connecticut College