Re: what is understanding?

Ludwik asks

Does "percieve more acutely" stand for "an intuitive feel" of its inner
working? Is the process of understanding similar to simple sensing of
colors, smells, etc.? Or is it something totally different?

I've always considered the phenomena of perception to be more than a
metaphor for the scientific worldview. I teach my students that science
is that branch of human endeavor which extends the limits to human
perception. These extensions are, for example, to the perception of
electromagnetic radiation to wavelengths and intensities normally
outside our personal sesitivities, to other radiations (neutrinos, etc.),
to more distant objects, to smaller objects...

It is not something totally different at all. It is identical in kind.
Science also involves interpretation of the perceptions, of course, but
that too is a normal part of human endeavor. In the case of science the
interpretation is also more acute. For example, consider Olber's paradox.
One can infer a great deal from even a null percept when one applies
science!

Leigh

Leigh Hunt Palmer Phone: 604 291 4844
Department of Physics FAX: 604 291 3592
Simon Fraser University Home: 604 299 3731
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6 email: palmer@sfu.ca
CANADA 122d58m W 49d17m N