Re: what is understanding?

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997 20:02:45 -0700 (MST) "Daniel L. MacIsaac"
<Dan.MacIsaac@nau.edu> writes:
I am waiting for your mathematical model of understanding. But can
you

Just to stick in a quip here; if human understanding can be reduced to
a mathematical model (Boolean algebra, perhaps) then I'm not sure I
want to human anymore. What about emotional rationality? We are
creatures
of emotion as well as calculus.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern
AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://www.phy.nau.edu/~danmac/homepage.html

My results are nearly complete. I simply prefer precision and rigor over
vagueness.
The great music teacher and composer, Ben Boretz, made a similar
statement about music analysis despite our tendency to want to say everything about music in emotional terms.
Regards / Tom