misconceptions in astronomy

A few weeks ago, some strange soul lifted a set of files from my office. At the
time I couldn't remember exactly which ones were gone, but I had a
sinking feeling that there would be something important among them.
Now I know there was!

I had a copy of a paper, taking from conference proceedings I found
on the Internet, discussing common misconceptions held by students
entering introductory astronomy classes. I think that author was
an American male, but that's about it! There was no testing data or
tables etc. - just a discussion of many common misconceptions.
I'm now desperately seeking the reference, because I used the paper
to form a list of astronomy misconceptions, and did some pre-testing
of my astro. students with them. Next week I am using the results in
a paper at an astro. conference here, and I want to be able to
attribute the paper!

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Margaret Mazzolini
..