Re: Pinhole camera

Leigh,

I appreciated you coming out early and having someone make an
attempt at pinning down ideas that we all use while assuming an intrinsic
definition. (The difficulty with definitions is clearly illustrated by
biologist attempt to define a species as a group of lifeforms the can
(and do) interbreed. One hole in this definiton is that if there are
a thousand males and no females left, the species does not exist.) I
look forward to your article.

Just a few comments on your definitions.

First, I assume they are intended for an advanced audience, and
think it might be very hard to use at a non-science major introductory
level.

It seems to me that light coming directly from a physical object
may be classified as an image by your definitions. Do you want to include
in the set of things that are images the observed patterns on the wall
produces by waving a flashlight or laser about? Is there no diference
between a red line on the wall, a stipe on red on the wall from a moving
laser, a projected red line on the wall and the image of a red line of wall
produced by a lens?

In regards to the pinhole camera, from your definition, the
pinhole-film (or viewing screen) combination produces an image, but not
just the pinhole itself.

Adding an observer seems to add the optics of the human eye to
the situation.

Using human's consciousness as part of a definition of a physical
phenomena is a potential minefield (or mindfield). What if a flash of
light triggers a flashback in someone's consciousness? Here I am clearly
playing the devils advocate, but my intentions are honorable.

Thanks
roger haar