Re: Pinhole camera

"The optical image is the locus of the centers of the waves emerging from
an optical system"

Vasco Ronchi, "Optics. The science of vision, " Dover, 1991.

Roger Haar has coaxed me out of the penalty box four days early. I have
in preparation, together with Lorne Whitehead of UBC, a submission to
AJP on this very topic, the formation of images in the broad sense. I
will be very interested to learn what you all think. For purposes of
this discussion I would appreciate your comments on my own definition
of image (and image formation) which is central to the development in
our paper. The pinhole camera image is one of my examples, and it is
certainly an image under my definition. I have two versions in mind,
and I will give both for emphasis and perhaps conceptual clarification:

An optical image is that aspect intrinsic to a set of light waves
which either produces the perception of a semblance of form in the
eye of an observer, or has the hypothetical potential to do so.

An optical image may be said to exist if a set of light waves
incident upon the eye of an observer induces a percept (an
impression of the presence of an object) in that observer's
consciousness. An image also exists if a hypothetical observer
could perceive it.

Note that the involvement of an observer (or a hypothetical one) is
central to the idea of image in this treatment.

Leigh

Igal Galili
The Science Teaching Department Ph: INT+972-2-6584097
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem FAX: INT+972-2-6585708
Jerusalem 91904 ISRAEL E-mail: igal@vms.huji.ac.il