Re: What is understanding?

The problem with the following is that it does not give the novice (student
much help.)

Ludwik Kowalski

UNDERSTANDING is attended when a student can confront a novel situation
and validly discuss it (at length) with an expert.

Here is what I gave my students this spring with regards to what I mean by
understanding.

"To me "understanding" means that when given an equation, the person can,
in their own words:
* explain the meaning of every symbol in the equation,
* describe the meaning of groups of the symbols, for example mv2/2,
* describe the meaning of the entire equation.

Further, the student can:
* recognize any contraints or limitations on the situations to which
the equation applies,
* recognize a situation in which the equation applies,
* create a situation where the equation can be applied,
* do proportional reasoning with the equation,
* recognize and reason with graphical representations of the equation,
* state whether the equation represents a definition, a fundamental
law, etc.,
* match the symbols given in a picture representation of the problem
to the symbols in the equation if these are different.

This is not complete nor even original but may be useful.

Frank Griffin

C. Frank Griffin Phone: (330) 972-8027
Department of Physics Dept.: (330) 972-7078
University of Akron Fax: (330) 972-6918
Akron, OH 44325-4001 cfg@nebula.physics.uakron.edu