Re: Toilet bowl physics - OLD THREAD

At 11:12 6/25/97 +0200, msantos wrote:

As it turns out, there is a recent effort to understand the apparently
anti-entropic clustering of small mobile objects in a suspension.

The collaboration from UPenn, UCSB, URochester NY, found that that
small polystyrene balls in water do not cluster when the balls have
constant size. If a few balls of larger diameter are added, these
latter start clustering at the edges in flat lozenges and hexagons.
apologize for coming with this late after the the topic was
discussed. Also I haven't those references easly accesible.So
I haven't read them.
Any other more "known" reference (Phys Rev, Langmuir,J.Stat.Phys
and so on)?

Regards,
M.A.Santos
msantos@etse.urv.es

In case this is your concern, I should make it clear that the 'anti-
entropic' quality of the effect is only apparent - entropy lives!

Baeyer's column gave no lit. references. However, the very best reference
to research work is that provided by researchers.
Here are the folks involved:

Hans Christian von Baeyer
Chancellor Professor of Physics
College of William & Mary