Re: "strangeness" quote

Can someone please tell me the exact wording and
source of a quotation that was something like:

The Universe is not only stranger than we had
imagined. It is even stranger than we can imagine.

Many thanks,

Jon Greenberg
jon@ait.net

Sr. Margaret is correct about the wording. It is "queerer" rather than
"stranger," but according to Bartlett's the author is J.B.S. Haldane, from
his 1927 book "Possible Worlds."

The complete quote from Bartlett's (16th edition) is:

"Now, my suspicion is that the universe is not only queerer than we
suppose, but queerer than we can suppose. ... I suspect that there are more
things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in any philosophy. That is
the reason why I have no philosphy myself, and must be my excuse for
dreaming."

Hugh Haskell

<mailto://hhaskell@mindspring.com>

The box said "Requires Windows 95 or better." So I bought a Macintosh.