Re: Video Analysis

Virtually all (say 10 of 12) of our first semester intro physics labs are video
labs and all use video video clips captured by each pair of student lab
partners. We find student interest to be very high. They seem to enjoy making
the video clips and being "actors" in the clips. Data analysis gives high
precision results which seems to satisfy students. And if we don't try to pack
too much in a lab session, understanding seems to be very good.

We think video makes an excellent connection between the theory presented in
class and the labs. Video is an implementation of Newton's thought. Divide time
into small increments and calculate delta x/delta t, etc. We use our own
(Windows) program to determine position (or angle) as a function of time, then
another of our own programs to analyze and graph the results. Our analysis
program does not have a "derivative" button, so students are forced to think
about the velocity as delta x/delta t, for example, and use the tool to
calculate those quantities.

There was a comment from Paul Zitzewitz about only using video when sonic
rangers won't work, i.e., in 2D experiments. We haven't found data taking or
analysis to be tedious which may be due to the fact that we do so many of the
experiments this way. The students get very adept and we take maximum
advantage of the bit of learning curve that is necessary for the students to
use these tools. Their understanding may also be enhanced by repeated exposure
to data presented in this form. So maybe Paul's experience indicates that if
you go this way, you may want to go whole hog.

An article about our experience has been written up in the Physics Teacher
(Blume-Kohout, et al, TPT 35, 22 (1997)) and is also available on the Web
(http://www.kenyon.edu/depts/physics/research/addeyes.htm). Our video analysis
and data analysis programs are available as freeware from our ftp site
(ftp.kenyon.edu in the directorys physics/software/windows/physvis and
physics/software/windows/physfit.)

Tim Sullivan
sullivan@kenyon.edu