Lamp Switch?

A friend moved and gave me a lamp with a planter around the base of the
lamp. The lamp has no switch. You can touch a leaf, the soil, or both
plastic sides of the lamp base and turn the lamp on and off. I have taken
the plant and soil out of the plastic base and cannot find HOW the circuit
is completed. Anyone have one of these lamps? I'd love to use this lamp at
school, but I have to understand how it works myself. Thanks, Marie