RE: power line insulators

At 17:54 6/13/97 -0700, you wrote:
... My suspicion is that rainstorms cause buzzing and
steaming of insulators, but that any wet pathway is instantly vaporized,
so the average leakage current is low.
William Beaty

The Elec Eng Handbook talks about wet flashover, the danger of
puncturing the glaze, the desirability of skirts ("petticoats")
on suspension insulators in dusty conditions followed by fogs.
I see that extra ridges are to be found under the skirts in
some designs where driving rain would not normally penetrate.

Regards
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK