Hooray! It's the end of the school year!

Greetings everyone. Sorry I haven't been on for a while, but it
has been the year end rush at school. Plus, my one computer died. I am
now typing one my OLD 286 pc which is barely capable of keeping up to my
typing speed. I have been meaning to let everyone know what has been
going on around my neck of the woods. Among some of the
frustrating things that have occurred over this school year, one nice
thing that was the Teacher's Recognition Night. This a time when the top
20% of the students choose a teacher that had the greatest impact on
them. The teachers can be anyone from K-12 and can include teachers that
a student had from a previous school they had attended. None of the
teachers chosen know which student had selected them until the student
who is on stage calls you up. I hope no one takes offense to such a long
letter, but this has been the one thing that makes everything that has
gone wrong look so small and insignificant. The following are the
letters that were read by the students that had selected me:
Letter #1
Mr. Souder has changed my outlook on Physics. I wasn't going to
take Physics this year because I thought it would be too difficult and
boring. However, Mr. Souder teaches Physics in a way which is easy to
understand and fun. Mr. Souder is very creative. He is also one of the
most interesting and intelligent people I have ever met. I will never
forget the tricks he likes to play on us. Like the time before we
covered electricity, he told all of us to hold each other's wrists, the
person on the other end was touching a static ball and I was on the other
end and he told me to grab the metal faucet pipe. When I touched the
pipe it gave me a huge shock and sent a chain reaction through each one
of us. Mr. Souder couldn't stop laughing. I will also remember when we
built our hover-craft and rode it down the hallway. Mr. Souder is also a
very talented singer and dancer (as he showed us at prom while working
the refreshment stand). I have learned a great deal from Mr. Souder. He
is one of the best teachers I have had. Crestveiw is very lucky to have
such a wonderful teacher.
Amy Stimpert

Letter #2
What does a hover-craft, a simple machine mouse trap, and a
glowing dill pickle have in common? These are all things you will learn
to do in Mr. Souder's senior physics class. When I signed up to take
physics class at the end of my junior year I was skeptical about what it
would be like. I was afraid that it would be a boring class filled with
meaningless principles that I would never understand. However, what a
difference a year can make. I can honestly say that physics is the best
course I have ever taken, and that is why I chose Mr. Dwight Souder for
my teacher recognition award.
Mr. Souder personifies the idea of learning by seeing and doing.
Physics is the type of course in which one must learn from
experimentation, not solely from textbooks. Mr. Souder took the concept
to new heights by showing our class something new and exciting each day.
Not only did we watch these wonderful demonstrations, but we all
participated as well. I myself would sit and wonder what Mr. Souder
would think of next. He made physics interesting with his great
personality and sense of humor. I will always remember his most famous
words, "I have something I want to show you guys." Besides the fact, how
often do you see a teacher and five students riding down the school
hallway on a hovercraft that they built, while the principal looks on in
laughter?
Mr. Dwight Souder was always able to keep things interesting as
well as educational. That is why I chose to recognize him on teacher
recognition night.
Ryan Holland

Letter #3
There have been many teachers in my many years of school that
have been positive influences upon my life. Teachers that have devoted
their lives to making our student's live more meaningful and
knowledgeable. One such teacher that I have chosen to recognize for this
reason is Mr. Souder. I feel that Mr. Souder is one of those teachers
that puts everything he has into his teaching. He possesses the skills
to create a high learning atmosphere, but at the same time creating an
enjoyable atmosphere as well.
When Mr. Souder first came to Crestview I had him for Chemistry.
It was not my favorite class and neither was the teacher, but as the year
went on I began to think he was doing a good job. He would help me with
my work and explain the subjects so that I could understand them. Mr.
Souder would also ask how I was doing in sports, if he had not attended
the event himself. This year I had Mr. Souder for Physics class and I
will never forget it. All of the important lessons we studied such as:
vectors, velocity, momentum, hover-crafts, electricity, electronics,
Bernoulli's principle, boomerangs, or even a better mouse trap or should
I say a better way to flood the Physics room. I will admit there have
been plenty of enjoyable moments in Physics class, but there have been
many enjoyable lessons learned. He would at times take everything that
we had covered and relate them to real world situations. For example,
after covering momentum and impulse, he took everything we had covered
along with calculations and the use of the bumper carts and some eggs and
explained the importance of wearing seat-belts. After that lesson, I and
many of my classmates have been wearing seat-belts every time we get into
a vehicle.
Aside from the lessons I appreciate Mr. Souder for taking the
time each and every day to say "Good morning class, I hope everyone is
feeling well today." He takes his teaching to a personal level and makes
you feel comfortable in the classroom. If anyone has a question or does
not understand something he is always sure to explain the question until
it is understood. I have found that even outside of school he is willing
to help with anything and enjoys doing activities with the students. I
remember one day during the year that we did not have school, Mr. Souder
helped with our Run-A-Thon for track. After it was over a friend and I
asked Mr. Souder if he wanted to throw boomerangs on the practice field,
he agreed gratefully. I feel that these are the characteristics that
make Mr. Souder such a classy and appreciated person. I think most
importantly of all I not only appreciate Mr. Souder as a teacher, but
also as a friend.
Mark Hunter

Excuse me while I ice down my head, I think it has been swelling
since that night. It helps me to appreciate all of the teachers that got
me where I am today. It sure makes me feel better knowing all of those
frustrating days and nights have been paying off. Again I apologize if
this is out of context on this list-serv.

Dwight Souder
Chemistry/Physics teacher
Crestview H.S.
Ashland, OH