Re: Constructivist Physics

On Sun, 8 Jun 1997, brian whatcott wrote:

At 10:43 6/8/97 -0400, Donald Simanek wrote a very fine appreciation of
educational methods:

Hmm... I thought it was more of a depreciation.

I will quote a sentence or two to critique, not particularly because it is
wrong, but only because the reader may think his realistic comment is
pejorative, and hence to be avoided....

(2) not all of their previous knowledge is transferable
to completely new situations. ...
...In case (2) the usual technique is to create false bridges from the
old to the new through strained analogies and invented and contrived
links.

Another weakness is ....
-- Donald

We have all heard the 'magic' method that people with all but eidetic memories
can use to hold onto incredible lists of data.
They create 'false bridges from the old to the new through strained and
invented and contrived links.'
This is the VERY BEST method of memorization for many purposes.
We should take care not to discard the use of such vividly effective
methods in the service of education.

Psychological research has confirmed that this method works. Professional
"mentalists" use this trick by associating words with nonsense
connections, which are easier to remember (they stick in the mind better
than sensible connections). Mnemonics are in this category. But is this
all what we want from education? Mere memorization?

If our goal is *merely* memorization of facts and information, then by all
means use such tricks. But if your goal is *understanding* and you use
contrived associations and false bridges instead, you are denying students
the education they should have.

( I sometimes think that a principal difference between the $20k pa
education and the $2k pa education is the memorability of the context of
learning material...)

You may be right. Most of what passes for "education" is no more than
cramming of information and regurgitating it, and in many jobs these days
that's all that seems to be required. It's a good thing for students that
most jobs which require a college degree don't require a college
education.

Thank you, Brian, for reinforcing my points. :-)

-- Donald

Dr. Donald E. Simanek Office: 717-893-2079
Prof. of Physics Internet: dsimanek@eagle.lhup.edu
Lock Haven University, Lock Haven, PA. 17745 CIS: 73147,2166
Home page: http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek FAX: 717-893-2047