Re: Quick INTERACTIVE PHYSICS Survey

For me, personally--and for most other professional physicists who
have spent any time with IP--it has provided endless miniresearch
opportunities and has often provided me with enormous insight.
However, I remain to be convinced that IP can be used productively
outside of class--even in guided situations--by more than a few
introductory students. Despite the plethora of supplementary
materials produced either as generic intro course supplements or
in support of specific texts, I know of no published study that
would support the hypothesis that any are effective.

Very quick note on only part of this post. I think part of the key
is having three students working together with one computer and
plenty of writing space with calculator etc etc. Interection between
students is one factor that I think improves the success of computer
based activites. I used to say it's keyboards in fromt of kids that
counts. I don't see that any more -
I think I could find some published stuff to begin to support this
(not definatively, but certainly heading in this diresction)
I agree: comuters on their own even with what is the best of the
current stuff . . .still encounters resistance in the minds of the
students.

Derek.

Derek Chirnside, Physics Department, Shirley Boys High School.
PO Box 27 025, Christchurch 8001, New Zealand.
chirnsided@mars.shirley.school.nz