Van der Graff generator

HELP!! As we started into some work on static electricity yesterday, I
pulled out our van der graff generator and fired it up, planning on showing
the normal "cool" demonstrations. I turned it on, the belt began to whir,
and absolutely no charge was developed. None. Nada.

This beast was made by American Eletrostatics in Tulsa OK. They don't exist
any more. The bottom pulley is wrapped in cloth, permanently attached to the
plastic pulley. The top pulley is plastic. The belt's a bit frayed, but
works fine.

The collectors (I guess) are pieces of aluminum held close to the pulley. I
adjusted these to get as close as possible with no results.

Granted, this is Washington and it's raining cats and dogs outside, but
shouldn't SOME charge be developed?

Thanks for any help.

Don McQuarrie (not the chem text author)
Lynden HS
Lynden, WA
mcquarrd@pacificrim.net