Re: Glass....

At 7:49 PM -0400 5/28/97, Donald E. Simanek wrote:
On Wed, 28 May 1997, Larry Smith wrote:
Don't you measure the index in the experiment?

Yes, and the value came out between the listed values for crown and flint.

Which spectral line did you use? Is it the same one used for the quoted
values?

We did it for yellow sodium lines and for HeNe laser (hence my previous
question about that wavelength). Serway has a graph showing the wavelength
dependence of n for crown glass and I think we found the values for flint
in the CRC or somewhere.

Did you take care to set the prism for *minimum* deviation for that
particular spectral line before applying the formula for n?

Yes.

Thanks,
Larry