Re: Glass....

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> wrote:
At 15:15 5/27/97 -0600, Larry Smith wrote:
I have a related question. Which glass are the prisms we buy from Edmund,
Cenco, Pasco, Fisher, etc.? The catalogs don't say, nor does any
documentation I can find. I'm looking for the index of refraction of the
prisms in a spectroscope experiment.

One measures the angle A of the prism, and delta the angle of minimal
deviation for a selected wavelength, and then the refractive index
relative to air ( mu) is given by

mu = sin 1/2 (A + delta)/sin 1/2 A

Yup. I just wanted to know the accepted value so they'd know if they were
close (I don't mean to bring up the precent error discussion again).

But it is misleading to think of two varieties of glass, when in fact
there is a long series of glasses, ( as many as 100 from some suppliers)
with a gradation of dispersion and index due to a variety of metal
oxides...

I wondered/figured that. So if they [the catalogs] don't say what it is, ...

Thanks,
Larry