Re: College Level Physics Lab Fees

We charge $40 and are proposing raising it to $45.
We are in a Natural Sciences Department with biology and chemistry.
With years or little or no increases in the part of our budget that
comes from the general fund (now 52% tuition, 48% state money), lab
fees have become an increasingly important part of our budget.
They're used for "course budgets" (must be spent before the end of
the course), for "equipment" (major and minor equipment budgeted once
a year), and for "physics common fund" (equivalant to the
chemistry/biology stock room that funds the supplies common to many
courses). By putting all these pots together we've been able to
upgrade the equipment in our labs over several years.

Hi,

I have been ask make an imformal poll of colleges and universities
about fees for physics labs. Chemistry dept. often charge fees to cover
expendables. Physics departments have fewer expendables but often have
a huge expense in depreciables. That is equipment that gets broken or wears
out and must be replaced.

Anyone out there charging a lab fee for physics labs?

If I get more than a few responses, I will e-publish the
results.

Thanks
Roger Haar
Physics Dept.