Re: School attendance...

The lament offered is not confined to OHIO....here's the way some
districts handle the long term absence.

In Baton Rouge, there was a service that provided a "Home-bound"
teacher. This teacher made an attempt to keep the student "up" with the
studies and assignments. Usually the teacher was certified in English or
Reading so any attempt at keeping the student "up" with the sciences or
math or language was almost a joke! But the student did have to take the
same exam every other student had to take. That alone guaranteed
something less than a wonderful grade at the end of the year.

A proposal in LA was not to count the absent days, but to count the days
present! The student had to be present 80 days a semester and 160 days a
year. NO excuse for this.....The student was present Or not! I am not
sure how for that went.

What concerns me about students being absent....even with other teachers
for field trips or as I have had with AP exams....the students expected
all teaching to stop until their return....They were most annoyed when I
did not re-teach the 1 and 1/2 hour class they missed due to the
exam....when I requested that they stay after school to make it
up....well, that was out of the question.....Oh, well....how many days do
I have left???????

Trina Cannon
Science & Engineering Magnet H.S.
Townview Magnet Center