Re: Order being born from disorder?-Question

At 04:01 PM 5/17/97 EDT, LUDWIK KOWALSKI wrote:
... I would like somebody to assign entropies
to the following patterns. Each of them is ten bits long sequnce of zeros
and ones.
0000011111 entropy= ?
1111100000 entropy= ? (probably the same as above)
0101010101 entropy= ?
0010011011 entropy=?
0001001100 entropy=?
0000000000 entropy=?
1100110011 entropy=?
0001000001 entropy=?

And explain the algorithm of assignments. Thanks in advance, Ludwik

Out of respect for the effort that Bowman put into his exposition of
entropy, which
spoke neither upwards, downwards or with any detectable side, I will attempt to
answer it in his mode:

Treating this entropy as a 'Shannon entropy' which measures how uncertain
these sample outcomes of yours are, Bowman asks me to consider what is the
minimal amount of information needed to uniquely define each of these
ten-binary-bit values.

This appears to be a particular case to which he alludes, where there are
1024 possible outcomes, values or possibilities of which EACH is equally likely
(i.e. 1111100000 is as likely as 1001000100)
so that the entropy S expressed in bits = log, base 2(1024)
which is 10

Hence the explicit answer to each of your questions is ten (bits)

Regards
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK