Re: Order being born from disorder?

1) I am sorry the word "entropy" was introduced into my message. The
terms "order" is "disorder" would certainly be sufficient (see below).

2) I suppose that entropy was discussed on phys-L when I was away. Sure
"the disorder in the universe" increased through my manipulations;
it was higher at the beginning (before throwing particles into air in
order to distribute them uniformly over the surface of a dish) than
at the end (getting rid of them). But during the limited time of my
experiments randomness seems to be reduced, spontaneously. Do not take
my word for this. Experiment and either confirm or deny the existance
of particle clustering on the surface of water. I am not totally sure
that the evolutions toward less randomness are real. It is hard to be
objective.

3) I do remember reading that cryptologists can assign "entropy" to coded
messages. The messages are treated as sets of immaterial particles
(words and sentences). These do not interact with forces and are not
influenced by temperature (except in hot debates). In what units do
they express entropy?
Ludwik Kowalski

Ludwik wrote:
Small pieces move randomly till they meet and link permanently by
molecular forces. The irreversibility of linking is the mechanism by
which "order is born from disorder". I am using these strong words
without any evidence that the entropy of a clustered pattern is lower
than the entropy of a really random distribution for a given number
of particles. Any idea how to calculate the entropy of a pattern?

Leigh responded:
Sure, but entropy has very little to do with order, a drum I've beaten
here before. I assure you that the entropy of the system increases (and
I'll tell you how if you don't figure it out first yourself) when the
particles stick together. You may also perceive that the order increases,
and I would agree with you. That should be sufficient to rupture your
implicit connection between entropy and disorder.