Earth as a magnet

Okay, I have found something else wrong...

I read that the 'north' of a magnet got that name initially because it
points 'north' towards the earth's geographic north pole (close to it).
If so, then the earth's magnetic south is north of us. Magnetic field
lines point out of the south pole and wrap around to enter the earth in
the north.

A book about electric circuits I own says that the above is correct, but
Merrill's HS text Principles and Problems says the opposite, and draws the
field lines opposite at that. I think the terminology must be confusing
other authors as well--- surfing the internet has not resolved this
question.

Could at least one person confirm that earth's magnetic south is north of
us please? I am afraid I taught this wrong otherwise.

Keith