First Two Weeks

Next year we will have 17 sections of Physics taught by 5 different
teachers. We do not have enough equipment to all be teaching the same
units at the same time. Two of us begin with Waves and the other three
start with Mechanics.

Because our counciling department does not balance classes until about
the third week we have decided to all teach an "essential skills" unit
for the first two or three weeks. This way a student can move during the
balancing period without problem.

Soooo. Just what might be "essential skills" to be included. We use
Hewitt's "Conceptual Physics" with additional math problems to augment
their problem solving skills.

Ray Rogoway
Independence High
San Jose, CA

PS We're looking for another Physics teacher for next year. Probably 2
or 3 Conceptual Physics and the rest Freshman Integrated Science
(modified FAST). The district is the East Side Union High School
District in San Jose, CA. (where housing costs are out of sight and
apartment vacancies run 1% to 2%.