Re: what good is "percentage error"?

Quist, Oren Phys wrote:
The student needs some way of comparing his answers to acceptable values,
but should not expect to get those values due to inabilities to control
all of the necessary variables adequately.

Students often think of physics as and "exact science," when it is really
just the "science of approximations." We usually can be as accurate as
we want, but do not have the wherewithall (especially financially) to be
as accurate as students sometimes come to expect.

I agree with the "science of approximations" idea. In my high school level
course I have them find their percent deviation to verify their own technique.
Many times in previous science courses they have not had to be accountable
their own efforts. This allows them to verify abilities and to understand the
limits of equipment. If they get an unusually high deviation, I have them
analyze the experiment to determine where the deviation occured. I also have
them compare experimental results with other groups to see if someone else can
duplicate the deviation.

I think there is something useful here we can use to teach how to experiment,
not necessarily how wrong they are. Experimental analysis is not easy to
convey. It is hard to get them to ask: Where could I haved erred?, instead of
What is the right answer?

--
Richard Goode
Physics Teacher

"Man does not cease to play because he grows old;
Man grows old because he ceases to play."