Re: what good is "percentage error"?

Today I was looking through a commercial high school physics level lab
manual, and came across the instruction to perform an experiment once
and then determine the "percentage error" by calculating

(accepted - measured)/accepted * 100%.

Is this quantity even being taught? How can it be used? It seems to me
that it is useless at best and misleading at worst, and should never
be used.

I'm with you! I teach them that that particular delusion is a
conceptual error. I discuss "uncertainties" instead of "errors".
An error os a mistake, so far as I am concerned.

Another view is held by John R. Taylor in his excellent book
"An Introduction to Error Analysis - the Study of Uncertainties
in Physical Measurements" (University Science Books). Taylor
uses the terms interchangeably and without distinction, a
practice which I think unnecessary and prone to the sort of
cognitive error that is implicit in the lab manual you cite.

I believe that there is no value in having two terms with
identical meanings in science. Since one of them has a quite
negative vulgar meaning I don't use it, and I discourage my
students from doing so (although I do let them know that there
are others out there, less clever than I, using "error").

Leigh