Static cling and fabric softeners

Began talking about static electricity today and students gave examples
of socks in the dryer, etc. Then one asked why fabric softener reduced
static cling. It has been my experience that it helps some, but question
is how. My package of clingfree sheets does not list any ingredients per se.
I told my kids I'd ask on the list, so please answer me tonight! How does
fabric softener reduce the tendency of materials to develop static charges?
Patti Mason
Delphi, IN