Re: Neutron mass

Ken Fox wrote on Wed, 30 Apr 1997 06:30:27 -0600 (MDT) :

In teaching about the nucleus and mass defect I find accurate masses for
both the proton and neutrons. I can visualize massing a proton but not =
the
neutron. Can anyone give me a clue as to how neutrons are massed?

One method is to shoot neutrons (thermal energy level) on
H-nuclei as targets and measure the gamma-radiation. Achievable
relative precision for energy/mass: 10^-6. If you wanna have more
details I could try to provide them, but translation from my
german book on exp-physics is a bit tedious :-))

Bye, bye
Guntbert
Guntbert Reiter, Graz, Austria
e-mail : guntbert@cut.big.ac.at