Re: GPS Units...

I bought a Gamin 45 for less than $300 and have been VERY satisfied
with it. One can get satisfactory ones for <$200. I beleive the current
Damark catalog has one. (I can check if there is interest). Even the
inexpensive ones do a lot. They are one of the best watches you can
get all for a price less than the first quartz watches.
The altitude feature is not so hot with the inexpensive units abt
+ _ 100 meters. The positioning is great (with an accessory receiver
it is increditable ie + - cntimeters) They work inside a car on the
dashboard without an external antenna. They will not work inside a
building. Velocity is good (+ - 1 kph at car speeds) Navigation on
foot is good enough to get you back to your camp in the woods if the
trees are not too dense. There is a web site or 10 devoted to them.
URL on request. I got my Gamin from a mail order discount store in
Arizona. Name on request, if I can find it.