Interactive Materials for Introductory Physics

Dear Colleagues,

I have received some phone calls about locating my Interactive Physics
Workbook and my Interactive Journey Through Physics CD ROM. It seems that
there may be some confusion among Prentice Hall local reps (and maybe some
physicists) about these two products. I thought that I might clarify the
situation and help out those who want to preview these for possible use in
the fall or whenever.

The Interactive Physics Player Workbook is a book of about 250 pages which
contains guided explorations to 40 simulations in Mechanics (one
dimensional motion, vector addition, free fall, inclined planes, friction,
energy, collisions, projectile motion, simple harmonic motion, circular
motion, rolling equilibrium, torques and rotational motion). The book come
with either Windows disks (isbn 0-13-667312-0) or Macintosh disks (isbn
0-13-477670-4). Both sets of disks are self contained in that they are all
the student needs to complete the simulations. The disks come with the
Interactive Physics Player (from Knowledge Revolution)

Interactive Journey through Physics (with Bob Beichner) is not connected to
the Interactive Physics Player Workbook. It is a self contained CDROM that
covers the great majority of topics in a standard two semester calculus or
algebra based introductory college physics class. There are sections on
mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism (including circuits)
and light and optics. It is a highly interactive CD with activities that
include topic reviews (with hyperlinks), over 200 problems (video based,
picture problems, context rich problems (courtesy of Pat and Jim Heller),
ranking tasks courtesy of Curt and Tom's workshop participants, 0ver 200
active engagement simulations, concept checks (my favorite) and extension,
narrated videos and narrated animations that bring the physics closer to
the experiences that our students are likely to have. Anyway, its
available (the Mac beta ran out) and the windows beta is available now
(contact your PH rep and dont let them go till they get you one to try
out). The final version will be in stock and available for desk copy
preview or sale I am told on April 21. There is only one version and it
comes with both the Mac and Windows CD and a users guide. The isbn is
0-13-254103-3. I hope this helps anyone who is having trouble getting
these if you want to evaluate them for possible future use. But if any one
wants to contact me directly with questions please feel free. email is
best.

schwarz@vassar.edu

or phone (I am always in early like 6 am NY time)

914-437-7349

I am also always open to suggestions from those who use the workbook or the
CD for improving them in the future, what works well and what doesnt, so
tell me what you think.

Cindy